Within the past week I finally finished Interview with a Vampire of The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. Then today I watched the movie. Personally I felt like they did a very good job with the whole movie, for what they had at the time to make it. Brad Pitt was a near perfect Louis except for toward the end expressing the way he became after Claudia’s death. Tom Cruise was a near perfect Lestat except that I felt like we wasn’t snobbish/cruel or crazy enough and Lestat’s power over Louis wasn’t clear enough. And Kristen Dunst was also a near perfect Claudia although her manipulation and cleverness was enough as well as it was hard for a child to portray a grown woman in a child’s body but she’s did a well enough job. There wasn’t enough Armand for him to be portrayed close enough as he was in the book but I still love Antonio Banderas as him.
Other things in the book they left out of or changed in the movie.
- Louis was living with his mother, sister and brother and it was the death of his brother that made him feel like we would welcome death not the loss of a wife and child.
- There was a woman who lived with her siblings not far from Louis’s plantation who was having hardships. When Lestat caused the death of the woman’s brother they had no one to “run” the house and they money so Louis, feeling guilty, as a ghostly shadow advised her that she should take charge despite the times they lived and her being a woman. Later that woman helped Louis and Lestat escape when Louis’s house caught fire and the slaves were after them but then rejected him once she saw Louis for what he was. Her horrified and repulsed face haunted Louis.
- A little thing that was different from the movie, the first time Claudia killed Lestat. There was no trickery of his drinking “dead blood”, she simply poisoned the child so that the poison was in the blood when he drank it.
- Later when Lestat seemed to have survived her first attack and attacked them in their home again he was not alone. Lestat had another young fresh turned man with him to help them. It would seem that they both were ingulfed in the flames of the fire Louis put on them and their rooms.
- When Louis and Claudia escaped to explore Europe in search for others of their kind they encountered a feril primate beast of a vampire that nearly killed them both. After that they went back to cities to be in the civilized world, Paris.
- About Claudia’s death.There was more to it than in the movie. Lestat, once again survived had shown up to the Theatre des Vampire and used them to help him get revenge on Claudia, and Claudia alone but caused great suffering in Louis.
- After that Louis was no longer the Louis from the whole book, he was soulless. He cared for nothing, has no life or passion. He and Armand did travel together but it was not as they had hoped it would have been if Claudia had lived. Eventually he brushed Armand away and they parted back in New Orleans when Armand revieled Lestat lived.
- Louis eventually tracked Lestat down by following yet another young vampire man to an old house. The boy was desperate to not have to come back and when Louis said to Lestat that he wasn’t staying the boy agreed.
- The end when Louis finished his story, the boy did want him to change and Louis viciously feed from him to scare him away from what he was pleading. Instead of the boy accepting being scared off he remembered the address of the house Louis last saw Lestat and he ran off the meet him.